A Las Vegas jury heard prosecutors play recordings of Duane “Keffe D” Davis describing his own role in Tupac Shakur’s 1996 murder, nearly 30 years after the rapper was gunned down on the Las Vegas Strip.
Story Snapshot
- Opening statements began Monday in Clark County District Court for Duane Davis, accused of orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s 1996 murder.
- Prosecutors leaned heavily on Davis’s own past statements, including a 2009 police interview where he described providing the murder weapon.
- Davis has since called those admissions lies made for book sales and says he was never in Nevada that night.
- More than 200 potential witnesses could testify, including Suge Knight, Las Vegas’s police chief and its former mayor.
A Cold Case Finally Reaches Trial
Tupac Shakur died in September 1996 after being shot while riding in a car driven by Suge Knight, then head of Death Row Records, near the Las Vegas Strip. For decades, no one faced charges. That changed when prosecutors charged Davis, a former gang leader, arguing he helped set up the shooting that followed a fight with Orlando Anderson at the MGM Grand earlier that night.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal opened the state’s case by playing clips of Davis talking about his part in the killing, turning the defendant’s own words into the centerpiece of the prosecution. Palal told jurors, “The one person who has had a hard time being silent is Duane Davis,” pointing to years of public interviews and a memoir where Davis described details of the plot.
Confession Or Cash Grab
Prosecutors say Davis admitted in a 2009 interview with Las Vegas police that he was in the white Cadillac used in the shooting and that he handed over the gun. That statement, made 13 years after the murder, sits at the center of the state’s case because there is no murder weapon or vehicle left to test decades later.
Davis tells a different story now. Since his arrest, he has said “I’m innocent. I ain’t kill nobody. Never did ever kill nobody”. He claims he was not even in Nevada when Tupac was shot and blames a ghostwriter for details in his memoir he now disowns.
Defense Points To Missing Evidence
Davis’s attorney, Michael Sanft, told jurors the evidence would not conclusively prove his client had any role in the killing. The defense argues that three decades have erased the physical proof prosecutors would normally need, including the murder weapon and the car, leaving only Davis’s shifting words as the state’s foundation.
Davis has offered several explanations for why he once claimed involvement. He told CNN his past statements were “false and just an attempt to sell books” and blamed his co-author for adding untrue details. In a jailhouse interview with ABC News, he said he was “being railroaded by authorities” and only confessed because he was “getting paid to lie”.
Star-Studded Witness List Ahead
More than 200 people appear on the witness list filed by prosecutors, a sign of how far this trial reaches into Las Vegas and hip-hop history. Suge Knight, who was driving the car and was wounded in the shooting, is expected to testify, along with Nevada’s current governor Joe Lombardo and former Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman.
The trial is expected to run up to six weeks in front of Judge Carli Kierny. Davis has already waived his right to have the jury decide his sentence if convicted, a move made public during jury selection.
Why Old Cases Are Hard To Prove
Cases built decades after a crime carry known risks. Research on cold-case prosecutions shows memories fade, evidence disappears, and witnesses die or go silent over time, making convictions rare even when a suspect is identified. National estimates suggest only about one in 100 cold cases ever end in a conviction, underscoring how unusual it is for a case this old to reach trial at all.
That backdrop matters here because the prosecution’s case rests almost entirely on Davis’s own recorded words rather than forensic proof. Whether jurors believe his earlier admissions or his later denials will likely decide the outcome, in a case that has outlived the physical evidence it was originally built on.
Eyewitnesses recount Tupac Shakur's fatal shooting in Davis murder trial
Witnesses to rapper Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing have begun testifying in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis in Las Vegas. Prosecutors described Shakur’s death as “an act of revenge,” alleging Davis… pic.twitter.com/4Xb1RpUfMM
— Rifnote (@viarifnote) August 17, 2026
The trial marks a rare moment where a nearly 30-year-old unsolved killing of one of music’s biggest icons finally gets tested in open court, with the defendant’s own past claims serving as both the state’s strongest weapon and his defense’s biggest target.
Sources:
youtube.com, cnn.com, reviewjournal.com, news3lv.com, abc7ny.com, usatoday.com, 8newsnow.com, fox5vegas.com, radaronline.com
© headlineupdates.com 2026. All rights reserved.













